Today, I’m excited to share with you a simple and decadent recipe I just tried out for the first time. From Gwyneth Paltrows’ incredible cookbook, It’s All Good, I present to you…. Sweet potato and five spice muffins. They are rich in flavor and will give your home the aroma of a bakery in the peak of fall! Gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free… these will no doubt be on repeat in my kitchen!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil OR avocado oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup organic pure maple syrup + 2 tbsp for brushing muffins (post-bake)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free flour (if flour doesn’t have xanthan gum, add 1 tsp)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400*. Poke sweet potato with fork, bake until soft (around 1 hr). Set aside until completely cooled.
- Peel sweet potato, discard skin and mash flesh into bowl with fork.
- Whisk in oil, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla into potato mash.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, five-spice powder and salt.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Line large 12- cup muffin tin and evenly distribute batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool, brush with maple syrup.